Beth M. Emmett

www.seasonsofhome.com
Beth M. Emmett

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homemade Apple Sauce

My Grandma came up last week from California and brought a bushel of her Beverly Hills apples from her orchard. Now, these apples are one reasons I would love to live in CA, they are that good. My sister has grandiose dreams of a huge green house so she can have 2 of these trees here in Heber. But wishing won't change our planting zone from the 3 that it is, so when she brings her apples up you enjoy them while they last. The family has 2 ways to use apples; apple cobbler, done my Grandma's way with handmade pie crust; or apple sauce. I opted for apple sauce. Now keep in mind that the sink in the picture above was actually full of apples and all of those apples filled my big pot.
It's so easy! Cut the apples into small, uniform pieced, add a 3-4 cups of water, a cup of sugar put the lid on the pot and let it simmer until it's broken down into apple sauce, stirring a lot. Most store bought apples are a little harder because you could wait 'til doomsday and they won't break down, so you need to use an immersion blender or put them in a blender to chop up the cooked apples.
This apple sauce is appropriate for every meal. When it's fresh and still warm in the pot I put ice cream on it and it's the most delicious desert you've ever had. In this case I didn't have any vanilla ice cream so I whipped some cream and it tasted just as good.

None of the pictures of my family eating their dessert turned out but I assure you everyone enjoyed this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment